Friday, October 12, 2012

Muppetational

The way our digital cable package works at the moment, we receive the Starz channel in HD.  Every now and then, they actually have good movies that I'd like to watch.  However, because this is the HD tuner and not the standard, there is no DVR attached to that box (it would cost extra convert to the HD DVR and I'm not willing to do that).  Plus, I don't know if my VCR (yes, I said, VCR) would work or not.  Therefore, I can't just record a movie that happens to come on because it just isn't set up.  That does not pertain to tonight, though.  Tonight, I watched a movie that ad great potential but ultimately fell a little short of my expectations.

The movie I watched, was The Muppets, which came out last year.  Being a fan as I grew up, I wanted to see the movie badly.  However, after seeing it, I'm glad that I didn't spend money on a movie that wasn't worth it.

Let's start with the positives.  Jason Segal seems almost a natural fit to be in a Muppet movie.  Of course, Neil Patrick Harris would have been a better fit, but I think he was too busy making a Smurfs movie (I'd ask why, but I am talking about a Muppet movie).  Amy Adams was great too.  She's a great singer and can portray innocent and smart and perfect all at the same time.  And, of course, the Muppets, themselves.  Kermit and the gang were their usual funny selves (to me) and I laughed at a lot of the same sight gags that they used to pull in their old series.

My problem was that the plot was a little flat.  The beginning of the movie that is supposed to draw you into the plot and the actual differences between Gary and Walter seemed to drag on quite too long and once the dance number began, it didn't even pick up speed.  Once the main characters arrived in Hollywood with a chance to take a tour of the old Muppets studio, it was still slow but started to gain steam.

Overall, I'm kind of glad that I didn't see this movie in the theaters if only to save myself from the disappointment.  I liked the songs and I did like the speech that Kermit gave toward the end of the movie about being together and being a family, so that's nice to there was an actual message hidden in the script.  I suppose I can't enjoy every movie that I see.


Until tomorrow.

No comments: