I just finished the audiobook, Ender's Game, written by Orson Scott Card. The book debuted in 1985, meaning that I was 11 when it was first published. Why did it take me until I was 37 to read it? No idea. I mean, I've heard of it for some time now and I knew several of my friends that had read the book and its subsequent sequels. And though I am glad to have finally finished one of the quintessential books of modern Science Fiction, I can't say that I was satisfied with the book itself.
This is not an offense to the novel or to Orson Scott Card, who managed to create a very believable dystopian world. I think for me, there was just too much politics involved. I liked the intrigue and the plot was fine, despite the fact that Ender is considerably young when the book begins and not more than just a few years older by the climax of the book.
For me, though I could understand the reasoning behind a lot of the plot devices used, I wasn't that impressed. It happens, I suppose.
Again, this is not to say that the novel, Ender's Game, is bad, nor is Orson Scott Card a bad writer. Like I said, he created an incredible world that is very plausible. For me, the book went on and on with a few parts that seemed out of place in comparison to the overall plot.
If you've read Ender's Game, can you explain it to me? Like I said, I understand it, it just didn't seem to fit me as a reader.
Until tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment