Sunday, October 7, 2012

Corporal Punishment Still In Schools?

Texas school OKs opposite sex spankings after principal breaks rule

When i read this headline I had to first think about one thing: there's still spanking in school?  And then I couldn't help but read.  That's when I discovered that this was at a high school.  A high school?  And it was a male principal with female students?  I'm not sure how many things are wrong with this story but I can think of several.

Here's a link to the story.

There were complaints?  I should think so.

Complaint one:  High school students are so out of hand that the administration thinks that spanking is necessary?  (Granted, it's Texas, so I suppose you can generalize and stereotype if you want to)

Complaint two: a MALE administrator was the one that spanked FEMALE students.  Can I get a sexual harassment call here?

I think the worst part about this is the fact that the school board has decided to ensure that a female administrator will be in the room if a male administrator is going to be doing some spanking.  That leaves one big problem - they're still spanking students.  And not just Kindergartners or First Graders.  HIGH SCHOOLERS!!!!!!

And it gets better.  If you read that article, you see that the mothers of both girls gave the principal PERMISSION to spank their daughters.  I'm still going crazy that the need is even there.  Yes, some high school students can get quite out of hand at times but spanking?  Really?

As much as I think it is important to punish your children when they have done something bad or naughty, I don't think that hitting them is the answer.  I could be wrong but for me, my wife and our child, no matter what she does, we will not hit her.  We might get angry and try to keep her from doing anything for a few moments, but she will not be hit by either of us.  We even make sure that if she hits one of us, or the cat, that she knows that it's bad.  I'm not trying to turn her into a pacifist, I'm just trying to teach her that hitting just to hit is not good.

Regardless . . . . . . Texas, quit with the corporal punishment.


Until tomorrow.

No comments: