Thursday, October 11, 2012

Good Parenting

Update from last night:  I am not as tired as I was.  In fact, thinking about it this morning, I realized that I was asleep within about three minutes of posting that blog.  That's me, folks.  If I say I'm going to write one blog post a day for the entire month, then I will make sure I write one blog post per day for the month.  Onto today's topic.


Over the weekend, while we were at Disneyland (where else would we be?), I noticed a dad wearing a cool shirt.  Yes, people wear cool shirts all the time, especially at Disneyland, but this was the kind of shirt that I wanted to buy.  It took a little searching but I found it.  I present it below without any comment . . . . at least for a second:



Am I right?  It's a perfect shirt and one that I need to purchase (or that someone can purchase for me . . . hint, hint - my birthday is coming up, as is Christmas).

Anyway, after seeing this shirt and realizing that I need to buy it, I also knew exactly where this guy (and in general the people that made the shirt) were coming from.

While chronologically in the Star Wars Saga, Episode I comes first, it is more important to show your children Episodes IV, V and VI before going back and showing them Episodes I, II and III.  It's not that I didn't like the prequel trilogy.  It was well done and the special effects were, naturally, unbelievable.  I think the problem with the prequels was that they were so loaded with political drama that people almost forgot that it was Star Wars.  However, I can defend those plots as well, because you hear these stories in the original trilogy about the Republic and the Clone Wars and how Darth Vader was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force.  So yes, the prequels, in all their assumed glory do have a purpose. 

Mostly to be shown after Episodes IV, V and VI so that your children can get a sense of a universe in turmoil as it battles the evil Empire.  Then go show them Episodes I, II and III and teach them the lesson that actions in the past will always affect actions in the future.


Until tomorrow.

No comments: