Before I get into the commentary that I had planned for today, I first wanted to remind everyone of what will be happening for the next 31 days. It's something that started last July, where I made the commitment to blog for every day that month. And so here I am again, attempting to blog for 31 straight days.
Today's topic: the Oscars.
I love movies. I love them a lot. However, this past year was not the best year for me and movies. This was because Joanna was pregnant with our daughter and that made it difficult to attend movies. Because of this, I managed to only see a few movies in the theater. I am not going to get into the review of the few movies that I have not already mentioned on this blog as that will be yet another topic for the month.
For today, I want to talk about movies and the awards show that recently took place. Most people didn't like them. I wasn't particularly enamoured with the Oscar telecast, but it wasn't that bad. Anne Hathaway is always fun to watch and she seemed to have fun. On the other hand, James Franco was a mess. I'm sure you've seen the pictures - or watched the show - but it seemed like he was squinting the entire time. Don't ask me why. Maybe he was trying to read the poor script that he was given. Oh well.
One of the best part of the night came when Kirk Douglas came out and presented the award for Best Supporting Actress. The man may be ninety-four and had a stroke, but it was still obvious that he had his wits about him.
Seeing Billy Crystal was also a special moment as he had been the epitome of Oscars host back in the 90s, when the Oscars were fun. Sure, other people have come and gone, from good ones (Hugh Jackman, Steve Martin) to not so good ones (Jon Stewart, David Letterman), but Billy was one of a kind. He knew how to insult people and still get a laugh, even if not from everyone - just like Ricky Gervais.
SIDEBAR: I thought Ricky did a good job at the Golden Globes. Sure, he made snide remarks at Scientology and other groups that were "insulted", but please, he's a comedian. Those kinds of jokes are used during "Celebrity Roasts" and are much worse. I think he kept it funny enough and made fun of himself at the same time.
Anyways....back to the Oscars.
So, not only were the hosts only semi tolerable, having not seen most of the movies last year, it was hard to appreciate the awards that were being given out. I will, however, do what I can to see The King's Speech because it seems like it was a very good movie. Next year, depending on circumstances (read, can Joanna give up two Saturdays without the baby?), maybe we'll be able to attend the Best Picture Screenings at AMC Theaters. Of course, with ten Best Picture nominees, it seems a lot harder. I think I would have enjoyed that this year, except for maybe Winter's Bone, which, besides the teenage boy silliness of the title, seemed to be a very violent film, much more than even The Fighter, which was about boxing or True Grit, which was about the Old West.
Well, I guess that's it for my comments about the Oscars - for what it's worth. There were plenty of haters and a few people that actually enjoyed it. I think it had good moments, but they all didn't come from the hosts (James Franco in drag, anyone?). Let's hope they do better next year. I, for one, am hoping so, because I know of a lot of good movies coming out this year.
Until tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment