You can see by the quote at the top of this blog that I like Willy Wonka. Just by chance, I happened to be flipping channels and saw that it was on. Like other special films in my life, I will usually watch this when it comes on.
Maybe it's the sense of innocence in Charlie or the funny songs or the complete creepiness that Gene Wilder brought to the character of Willy Wonka.
Now, if you also note up there it says, the Real Willy Wonka. This is because to me, Gene Wilder was much better at creating a character that was a genius and a lunatic at the same time. Johnny Depp was merely a clown and a cry baby as Willy Wonka. Yes, the newer version was visually spectacular, but I still feel that the original was a better telling of the story.
Willy Wonka is the ultimate in children's fantasy. Not only does it remind children that they should be allowed to have their dreams, but, and I'm thinking more of the original film now, it also reminds us that children that are bad must deal with the consequences of their actions.
As the wise man said so eloquently, "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker."
Until tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment