Thursday, April 21, 2011

Baby, You're An Overplayed Song

Speaking of Idol.....last night as I was watching the opening, I noticed something that is really starting to get on my nerves.  And, you know, it didn't start getting on my nerves until I saw it happen twice.  And really, it wasn't a matter of seeing something, it was hearing something.  It's the song, "Firework", by Katy Perry.

I know that I don't have to ask if you've heard it.  Besides hearing it under the montage at the beginning of Idol last night, there are at least two movie trailers that feature the song.  One is for the movie, Soul Surfer, the story of Bethany Hamilton, the girl that was attacked by a shark and eventually got up enough strength to surf again.  The second is for a Disney film (I had to look it up on IMDB) called, Prom.  No idea of the plot, so based on the title you have to figure that it must have something to do with the annual high school drama known as Prom.

Anyways....the movies and the show are not the point.  The point is that I am getting tired of that song.  This is not to say that I am getting tired of Katy Perry in any way.  She has a good voice and her songs are very catchy and repetitive.  Maybe she does that because kids these days have a short attention span.

(Pause)

What was I talking about again?

Kidding.

I understand the reasons behind using the song for these sorts of montages or movie trailers.  The song's lyrics speak of being who you are and letting your light shine, despite "feeling like a plastic bag / drifting through the wind, ready to start again".  It has a good message but I think that it's time for the message to be sung by someone else in some other rhythm with other lyrics.

As it is, as I continue writing this blog entry, the song is running through my head.  I'm going to have to think of "It's A Small World" in order to get rid of it.


Until next time.

No comments: