A couple of posts ago, I wrote about my writing. Well, today I'm here to talk about my writing once again and how it relates to Thanksgiving (yes, I know that Turkey Day was yesterday, but this still applies).
During this month of November, I attempted National Novel Writing Month once again. I was going strong. I had a great idea for a story, good characters, a decent plot and even some good action. With five days left, however, I'm way behind with no clear outlook on finishing the story. Now, before, I might have decided that "I could still finish" and stay up late and work extra hard in order to finish the 50,000 words by the end of the month. But, after reminding myself again of that previous blog post and the blog that it linked to, I have to remind myself that not all gifts will offer rewards, but that all gifts are rewards themselves.
I like to look at my gift of writing as a great reward. It's a way of clearing my mind of useless clutter that might be clogging it up and possibly even find other viewpoints bouncing around in there. And yet, I don't feel the need to validate those voices by straining myself to complete 20,000 more words in a matter of five days. That's not saying that I couldn't, but at the moment, I'm not feeling good and I have plenty of other things that I want to accomplish. This also doesn't mean that I am completely giving up on the story. It will still be there when I am ready and I'll be able to continue right where I left off.
But where's the part about Thanksgiving?
Oh yeah. Couldn't you guess? I'm thankful for my gift of writing. Sure, I'm thankful for all the other general stuff too (family, friends, a job, my daughter), but there are some things that people don't always seem grateful or thankful for and so I am thankful for my gift as a writer. It hasn't brought me fame and fortune just yet, but it has brought me peace, serenity and a lot of happiness.
Until next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment