I'm going to talk about something that I very rarely talk about - in real life, on this blog, or even in my writing. Politics. And really, I'm not even talking about politics in general. It's more of a discussion about music used by politicians at their rallies and the "liberal" artists that take offense.
Of course I'm talking about Michelle Bachmann a Republican candidate for President from the great state of Minnesota.
Recently, when Michelle Bachmann decided to "toss her hat into the ring", she had Tom Petty's song, American Girl, playing. Well, Tom Petty just happened to be watching the news and got on the phone to his lawyers to call up Bachmann's people and made her stop playing the song. "That'll show 'em" was probably something that Tom Petty said or thought (though I don't really know, but that's not the point).
So then Bachmann's people use Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves. And what happens? The lawyers get on the phone again and tell her to stop using that. Are Katrina and the Waves even Democrats?
I'm sure that if Michelle Bachmann's people paid enough money to Tom Petty (he seems a little Petty for even trying to stop Bachmann from using the song) and to Katrina and the Waves (though, I'm sure it's more Katrina than the waves asking about it) then neither of them would have a complaint. Right?
Wrong.
Tom Petty is a very liberal person. Has been most of his life. If you're not sure, watch the video to the song, Last Dance With Mary Jane. Weird. Creepy. Liberal.
I'm not saying that being a liberal is wrong. What I am saying is that musicians, whether Liberal, Republican, Tea Party, Green Party or Independent, should allow these politicians the opportunity to use their music - for a price. And perhaps the more they agree or disagree with said politician would affect how much it would cost to use the song.
Regardless, it seems that Michelle Bachmann is now 0-2 in campaign songs. Maybe she could try to find a Republican musician that would be willing to be associated with her campaign. Any takers?
*crickets*
Until next time.
1 comment:
WOW --- I'm not sure I completely agree with you (the liberal/socialist in me). Do you remember when Reagan wanted to use Born in the USA? Have you listened to the words? It's pretty anti US gov't. Maybe the politician needs to find something more appropriate that corresponds to her beliefs. I doubt the artist (whether conservative/liberal/social/tea party, etc.) would want his/her/their music associated with anyone not in line with the same beliefs - no matter what the price. Of course, I just saw Michael Moore's Capitalism: A Love Story so I'm a little anti gov't/out for me only attitude. And as for your last question: I'm not sure anyone wants their music associated with Michelle Bachmann.
Post a Comment