It should be said that any Adam Sandler movie that does not have Rob Schneider in it, is not funny. And this movie did not have Rob Schneider in it. Hmmm.....should that have been a hint? What am I talking about? Just Go With It, the latest movie from Adam Sandler and his pals.
Now, I'm not going to sit here and tell you it's drivel, because it's not. Of course, it's also not going to win any prizes unless you want to count number of girls in bikinis or poop jokes.
I was warned about this movie by Nell Minow, the Movie Mom. I trust her reviews and have found them to be quite accurate. However, I needed to kill some time and this movie was the best option.
It was an entertaining mess and, just like other Adam Sandler movies, he needs to go through some learning before he realizes whom he is meant for. In this case, Danny (Sandler) wants to be with Palmer (is that even a name that someone would name their daughter? She was played by Brooklyn Decker. If you don't know who she is, Google her). Unfortunately, Palmer thinks that he us a married man, soon to be divorced. And why does he think that? Oh yeah, because he told get that.
It's all a web of lies through the rest of the movie, culminating in a trip to Hawaii (Sandler's favorite movie locale).
As Danny and his fake family, including Jennifer Aniston's "Kate" character and her two children, begin to hang out with Palmer, Sandler's character starts to think that Kate is much more than he ever thought. He even finds himself slightly jealous when she is talking about another man.
During their stay in Hawaii, they run into an old rival of Kate's (which happens to be a semi underused Nicole Kidman), with a husband who later turns out to be gay, but played wonderfully by Dave Matthews (minus the band). Their marriage (or at least on the surface), is also shown to be all lies, comprised in an attempt to show other people up. I guess that happens when you start meeting old friends, you begin to fabricate the truth, or bend it, in hopes that you seem better than what you really are. In the case of this movie, it's better to know the truth up front.
In the end, like a lot of his other movies, Adam Sandler has learned his lesson and discovered that Kate is the right one for him and they lived happily ever after.
It's an okay film that will make you laugh in a few places and gross you out in others. If you clicked on that link above to the Movie Mom's website, you'll see that she gave the film a D. While I may agree with some of her opinions of the film, I would probably give it a C. But, I don't have that kind of rating system here. If you want to have some mindless entertainment, go right ahead. If you like Adam Sandler, enjoy. But if you don't care for the older guy trying to get with a younger girl but learning his lesson by the end of the movie, then don't bother. Like I said, I was trying to kill time.
Until Next Time.
No comments:
Post a Comment