No, they are not blood relations, so anyone that knows my family will not have to wonder where my family went. No, I am talking about my Jeff and Jer Family. Anyone that didn't live in San Diego over the past twenty years would more than likely not know who Jeff and Jer are, so I will explain.
Jeff and Jer were a morning radio show that consisted of the rest of the "family" - Little Tommy Sablan, Laura Cain and Randy Hoag. Every morning they would talk about their lives and what they were doing and what they believed in. They weren't preaching their cause (except for Jer, who is an advocate against animal cruelty - but, hey, shouldn't we all be?) and they weren't trying to be anything that they weren't. They were normal people with normal problems and those problems were discussed on the show - sometimes with pure seriousness and some not exactly serious. Regardless of what they were talking about, Jeff and Jer (and the rest) were always interested in knowing what San Diego (their listeners) thought about each and every subject.
However, in August of 2009 Jeff and Jer were removed from the airwaves because of a breakdown in contract negotiations. Basically, they were negotiating, but the bosses wanted them to get rid of some of the members of their "family". Jeff and Jer were not going to let that happen and simply walked. As much as it pained me and all of San Diego, I knew they were doing the right thing. They didn't want t break up their family because they had been together for so long. And so they waited, as did all of San Diego and the bevy of listeners across the country.
And we all waited. There were rumors of Jeff and Jer purchasing a radio station of their own. There were rumors that they would have a syndicated show on the weekends. But nothing ever materialized. And so we all continued to wait.
Until now.
Seventeen months later, Jeff and Jer (and the rest of the family) will be returning to the airwaves. KYXY in San Diego will be their new home on the radio dial. No matter what, I'm going to try to listen every day. I want to know what my family has been up to. And I call them family because they are. Jeff and Jer are like uncles - semi responsible, but always willing to have fun. Plus, they have great hobbies and jobs that allow them to talk to me about my own passions and interests. Little Tommy is the cousin that used to get you into trouble when you were kids, but now that he's grown and matured, he's actually a great guy that is smart and loves his family, whether they are biological or otherwise. Randy is the cousin that still likes to goof off and, being such a big fan of Star Wars as he is, I sometimes know exactly how he feels when the others tease him. And then, of course, is Laura. The lone girl amongst the boys. And sometimes, she's the one with the most heart. But she'll get involved in the frivolity just like the rest of them.
It's just over eighteen hours as of this writing until the family is back and I am very excited. I know that I am not the only one that has missed Jeff and Jer and the rest. It may take a few days for all of us to be comfortable with their presence in our lives again, but that's the best part about being a family. No matter how long between visits, we all still love each other and are happy to listen to each other's stories of what's been going.
Until Next Time.
UPDATE: Listened to Jeff and Jer and the family this morning. It was just like old times and as if they had never left the radio. It was all of the same humor and heartwarming stories. I haven't laughed so much listening to a morning show in a long time, despite the other shows that I've listened to while they were off the air. I even teared up a little because they were on the radio again.
1 comment:
I totally remember that show! I listened to them EVERY day on the way to work! So cool that they're going to be back on the air!
Post a Comment