Friday, January 21, 2011

The Dawg, Jenny From the Block and The Guy From Aerosmith

It's only been two episodes of American Idol Season 10, but already I'm enjoying it.  Sure, Steven Tyler is pushing 60 and probably doesn't know a lot of the more modern music, Randy Jackson pretends to be a superstar by suggesting he's "helped" so many other performers (but has he really?) and JLo hasn't had a hit in a few years - whether it be music or movies.  But that's not the point.  The point is that, so far, this season of American Idol is doing pretty good.  Sure, the judges have managed to allow some people to continue to Hollywood that don't necessarily deserve to be there, but that's okay. I have a feeling that those people will be weeded out during the Hollywood round.

Idol is even more different now this year because of the fact that they lowered the age limit to fifteen.  This is because of the whole Justin Bieber phenomenon.  Idol thinks that they might be able to find that new artist (and if he or she is young enough, they'll bring with them a very large fanbase of preteens and teenagers).  The problem is that from the few fifteen and sixteen year olds that I've seen so far, they show promise, but they won't hold up against singers that have more mature voices, especially for those whose voices haven't broken yet.

Regardless, I think it'll be a fun season and some of the singers should be decent.  Of course they have the standard sob stories, but that was to be expected.  And of those, some do have good voices and some are simply not my cup of tea.  Then again, Adam Lambert wasn't really what I considered a good vocalist and then he just kept singing and I started to realize just how good he was.  He's still a little weird, but I can admit that I like some of his music.  Who knows, maybe I'll start liking some of the singers that I haven't really cared for just yet.


Until Next Time.

No comments: