Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Social Networking is the New Social Networking

I know. You're looking at that title and going, huh? Well, it's simple. Long ago before Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and every other imaginable "social networking" system, there was something known as going out with friends. There was no "poking" or status updates. If you wanted to know what someone was doing, you'd have to go find your friend or give them a call and find out what they were doing. This was also the way to keep in touch. There were no "walls" for people to post on. You simply had to talk to people. Oooh, scary. Actual social interaction? How did the world survive?

Now, if you know me, you know that I have a Facebook account. You can see on the right hand side of this blog that I even have a Twitter account. And yes, I technically still have a MySpace account. But the funny thing about those three things is that I don't use them entirely for interaction with my friends. Yes, there are friends of mine that are not close by that it's easier to see what they are doing. Not that I don't call people on the phone or see them in person, either. Like I said, some people are just too far away to get in contact with.

Here's the problem. Kids today are so technologically inclined that Facebook, MySpace and Twitter come second nature to them. Instant Messaging and Text Messaging is part of their lives. They text their parents to find out what's for dinner or they text their friends who are in the same room because they don't want to strain their voices or something. another part of the problem is that some parents are simply accepting the new generation's need to text or IM or be on the computer at all times. This should not be acceptable. I am fine with teaching my future children how to use technology and even will help them get things set up when I am ready for them to have it.

Children need actual social interaction in order to fully develop as people. If we didn't talk to other kids in school, how would we be able to talk to people as adults? If we didn't have to learn how to present ourselves as individuals, how would we have gotten a job? These are just two of many different reasons for requiring that kids get social interaction and get away from the cell phone or computer for just a little while.

Again, I am a strong proponent of technology education and am all for it. I just think that the kids of the future need to know how to talk to someone right next to them with their voice instead of using their fingers.

No comments: