Friday, January 27, 2012

A Positive Message Born From Tragedy

Before I begin with the actual blog post, I would like to apologize to my readership.  I had made a resolution to blog more and here we are at the end of January (Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad) and this is only the second blog post for the month.  Sad.  I'll try to do better.  I suppose it helps if I have something to talk about, like today.

This blog post is going to have a sad theme to it.  I just read story about a young girl (18) that died while texting and driving.  Of course, it didn't help that she also wasn't wearing her seatbelt.  The first thing that anyone should do when getting into a car is put their seatbelt on.  I am guilty of waiting until I start driving to put it on, but I constantly remind myself to be better.  It's the other part of the story that's more important.  She was texting.

We're all guilty of it and I'd like to tell you to stop, but you might not.  Even after seeing the video that is below, you might not stop.  But at least it will make you think about texting and driving.  Is telling your friend/mate/child something so important for you to take your eyes off the road?  No.  You have a greater chance of causing an accident (or even avoiding another car and crashing on your own) by looking away from the road.  If I have to use my phone for any reason, I wait until I'm at a stop light, which is still technically illegal.

In the United States, each state is different when it comes to laws about cell phone usage while driving, but for the most part it's a matter of "don't do it".  In California, it is illegal to drive and talk on your cell phone.  Do people follow that law?  Of course not.  I've even seen police officers disobeying that law.  That same law states that we as drivers are not allowed to send a text message.  Should there even be a law?  Shouldn't it be considered common sense?  Again, anything that takes your eyes off the road can lead to danger.
Well, in Indiana, where this young girl died, her classmates and teachers wanted to do something to not only remember their friend, but to remind people in their community what could happen.  Watch the PSA below.
Be careful out there.


Until next time.




No comments: