Monday, July 25, 2011

All I Have To Do Is Dream

If you can dream it, you can do it.  - Walt Disney

You know, there's only so far that that message can go.  Sure, people dream of going to the moon and they did it.  People dream of becoming professional athletes and they do it.  I dream of becoming a professional writer ......

But that's besides the point.  The point is that dreams are kind of tricky.  I'm not talking the overall "dreams" or goals in life: go to college, get a good job, get married, be rich and happy.  Obviously those are great dreams, but what I'm talking about are the images that we all have in our mind when we are deep in slumber.

I will tell you that sometimes I have really cool dreams and sometimes they aren't so cool.  But for the most part, when they are cool, they play like action adventure movies and I'm one of the stars (hey, it's my dream, and if I want to be the star, so be it).  And what's really cool, as I start to wake up and have the lingering images, I think, that would be a cool story to write (remember, I'm trying to be a professional writer).  So I grab my iPhone and start jotting down some notes as quickly as the images are fading. 

Ultimately, I end up with a sentence or two or a few keywords and I have to go back to them later and figure out if I can remember.  I wish I could because I've had some dreams that would make for really cool stories or novels.  And yet, what do I have to show for it?

One story that I managed two sentences of description before I couldn't remember more ended up becoming only a mere paragraph and I couldn't think of where to take the story after that.  Another dream that I had managed to document with a few keywords managed less than a paragraph after I realized that I was mixing two different dreams, which then made no sense.

So here's the challenge: can I remember my dreams long enough in order to write something that would be exciting?  Good luck to me.


Until next time.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I have this ALL the time. The other night I dreamt of Steven Carrell being a Paid Assassin who was trying to get out of the business. - Think Point Blank w/ John Cusack. Saturday night was a horrible kidnapping/slaying of a baby who was the child of that guy from Wings and Private Practice - I think that was a storyline for them or I was thinking of Casey Anthony. I try not to force the dream or actively bring it to mind when I wake up. It's much easier to let the images come. And here lately, I've had to ask David if he and I really had that conversation or if I was dreaming.
Good luck on trying to remember. They will make great stories.

Chris Denny said...

Sometimes Joanna and I will ask about a conversation from the middle of the night. Sometimes we actually did, most times not.