Monday, July 16, 2012

Gotta Get Back In Time

It's too bad that that song wasn't used for Men in Black III.  It would have been very relative and fun to listen to an 80s song written by Huey Lewis.

The premise of Men in Black III is that Will Smith's character, J, goes back in time to stop something from happening that affects the future (sound familiar Back to the Future II?).  In his attempt to stop one crime, he inadvertently interacts with the younger version of his partner, K (younger version played to perfection by Josh Brolin, including the voice mimicry).  Of course, J was told that he shouldn't interact with the younger version of K because it could have lasting ramifications and could alter the timeline (ooooooo, scary).  Because of this new interaction and J's ability to convince the younger K that he needs to help him, J is able to learn things about his partner that inform his respect of him in the future.

Through a series of very funny interactions with Andy Warhol and an alien that can see many possible futures, J and K eventually catch up to the bad guy and prevent him from causing irreparable harm to the future (again, I'm looking at you, Back to the Future II).  I won't spoil the movie for you but I can say that there was an interesting twist on events that happened in the sixties that reflect on the characters in the present, which was a nice touch.

I've always liked the Men in Black movies for their ability to not take themselves too seriously.  The people involved are working to have fun and it looks like the film was fun to make.  I laughed at the appropriate times and though there was a moment that a tear might have had an opportunity to fall, it did not.  That is not to say that I have no heart, it was just that despite my investment in the characters, I sort of saw the moment coming based on earlier context.  But that's just me.

Overall, I enjoyed the film and was glad to be able to see it in the theaters before it comes out on DVD next week.

Just kidding.  It's just that some movies come out rather quickly on DVD these days.



Until next time.

No comments: