What's that song lyric, "Christmas comes this time each year". Well, it seems to be coming sooner and sooner each year. At some point in the future, Christmas merchandise will stay up throughout the year and we'll always be able to get Christmas trees or those funky mechanical reindeer for the front lawn. Oh wait, they have those places already.
This is madness really.
Now don't get me wrong. I like Christmas as much as the next guy. My birthday is around Christmas, so, naturally, I like it even more. But what gets to me sometimes is the commercialism of Christmas. I know what Christmas is all about - presents. Kidding. It's really about Jesus being born and coming to save the world and all that (blasphemous, I know).
But really, most people don't look at it that way. Most people think of Christmas as a time for presents - not giving them, but getting them. These days marketing teams are pushing Christmas earlier and earlier. As of today, Starbucks is now offering their specially blended Christmas drinks. And if you have Digital Cable, the Sounds of the Season channel is now offering Christmas music. Really? Wasn't it just Halloween? Has Black Friday come and gone already?
For those of you that don't know, my wife loves Christmas music. I happen to enjoy it also - in moderation, and after December 1st. My wife tends to want to listen to Christmas all year long (which is her perogative), but there is a rule in our house that she cannot listen to Christmas music - in my presence - until November 1st. If she wants to listen to Christmas music away from me, she is more than welcome.
And now that it's November, I get to listen to Christmas music (sarcastic "woo hoo").
Almost kidding. I do like the two hundred variations of one song and seeing how many times I can hear The First Noel without screaming, so that's always fun.
I guess I've taken enough of your time.
Merry Christmas.
Until next time.
2 comments:
I have a firm no Christmas music until the day after Thanksgiving policy. If it's on the radio, I turn it off. If it's on my iPod, I skip the song. I LOVE Christmas music, but it should be saved for Christmas time! Don't even get me going on the commericals and ads!!!
I'm with Joanna, I love Christmas music. This year I did start listening before Thanksgiving. Enjoyed every minute.
Post a Comment