Friday, June 26, 2009

The King of Pop, The Queen of Hearts and The Jack of All Trades


The date: 2030
The game: Trivial Pursuit
The Category: Arts and Entertainment
The Question: Who was the actress that died on the same as Michael Jackson?

Pause 15 seconds for everyone to ponder and not answer.

Farrah Fawcett.

Now, I'm not saying that the world has forgotten Farrah already, but it seemed that yesterday morning was dedicated to her memory and the fact that she lost her battle with cancer. Stories left and right on the Internet about her life and how she lived. However, when news broke of Michael Jackson being rushed to the hospital, Farrah's stories disappeared into the ether, along with her.

Again, I'm not saying that it's wrong to talk about Michael Jackson. Plus, people will say that Farrah had been in the media spotlight for some so sorry news broke of her cancer. But I feel so sorry for Farrah's family and friends who were already in mourning just to be pushed aside by the media as they rushed to cover the death of the Pop Icon.

Now, despite Michael's personal troubles (the scandals, the debt and everything else), I still liked his music. He was a good soul that tried to help everyone and so was Farrah. They were so different and so alike at the same time. They share a death day, but they also share a passion for what they loved.

And as much as I was not a teenager in the seventies with a poster in my room, I think we all need to remember Farrah in all of this as well.

And let's not forget that deaths usually come in threes. Who was the first of this trio? Ed McMahon, of course. He was a consummate professional that sat at Johnny Carson's side for thirty years. He was considered a sidekick for a long time - first to Johnny and later to Dick Clark, but Ed McMahon was a comedic strongman. His timing was impeccable and his laugh was unforgettable. He, along with Farrah and Michael will truly be missed. They are three legends who could never be replaced, though many will surely try.

Rest in peace to three amazing people and two that died way before their time.

No comments: