Monday, April 13, 2009

Life is short.....Part 2


It's unfortunate that so quickly after writing about the sadness of losing such a young man as Nick Adenhart, I have to be writing yet another reminder of just how precious time is. Today, I found out first, that Bruce Snyder, a former football coach at ASU, died after a 10 month battle with cancer. This, is sad in and of itself, because cancer is the worst disease out there because it affects so many people in so many ways - some even without affecting them with the actual disease.

A little while later, I learned that Harry Kalas, the broadcaster for the Philadelphia Phillies, died. One thing I have to say though, is that he died as he was about to do something he loved - broadcast a Phillies game. You see, he was in the broadcast booth in Washington D.C. preparing to call the game against the Washington Nationals. He was found in the booth by someone else. Sadly, it was too late. Granted, Harry was 73, and had had some surgery recently for something that was never disclosed, but he was probably in poorer health than someone else of his age.

Either way, both of these deaths, coupled with the death of Nick Adenhardt, give the simple reminder that life is short. As Ferris Beuller advised: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Slow down. It's fun to be the rabbit, but every now and then, being the tortoise can remind you of everything you miss.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

How did you remember a Ferris Bueller quote? And I know I've heard that rabbit/tortoise reference before. ????

Chris Denny said...

The Ferris Bueller quote I had to look up to get the wording right. As for the rabbit/tortoise thing, I thought I had made it up. It's possible I've heard it somewhere.